06 May

Shutter Terminology

Categories : Helpful Tips
Article by 

Shutter terminology can be confusing and the various terms and words are explained below.

Bracket : A mounting for decorative (non functional shutters) to keep the shutters onto the wall. These can take many forms.

Carcass : The body of the shutter.

Espagnolette : Espagnolette bars have a central handle that rotates to simultaneously send two long bolts into the top and bottom of the window reveal.

Frame : Not to be confused with the frame of the shutter even though the same word is used. This is the outer frame of a shutter assembly that sits within the reveal that shutters are hinged to. A frame is used to ‘square’ off a window reveal that is unlikely to be square where the shutters are to be installed within the reveal. Not all applications require a frame to house the shutters and are most commonly found on interior shutter installations.

Hinge : The bit that actually fastens onto the shutter to allow it to swing on the pintel.

Holdback : Also known as a tie back or shutter dog (USA). Holdbacks keep the shutters to the wall when the shutters are in the open position and stops the shutters from blowing about in the wind. These can take many forms but they all do the same job.

Lintel : The underside of the window reveal above your head.

Louvre : (Also known as louver/slat/blade). The louvre forms the internal structure of a horizontally slatted shutter. Contrary to common belief louvres can be mounted vertically or even diagonally for effect!.

Mouse-hole : The small slot with a curved edge that has been cut into the rail to accommodate the tilt rod when the louvres are in the closed position.

Panel : The name given to a solid style of shutter (not louvred).This can also be the name given to a single leaf or wing.

Piano Hinge : A long hinge running vertically up the stile that allows another shutter leaf to be connected to it to make a bi-folding shutter.

Pintel : An ‘L’ shaped fixing into the wall that accommodates the hinges that are mounted on the shutters. The long leg of the ‘L’ fixes into the wall with the short leg sticking vertically upright.

Pintel Plate : Does the same job as the pintel except that this is mounted onto a backing plate that is then fixed to the wall.

Profile : The shape of the material (when viewed end on) used to make any particular part of the shutter itself or shutter frame.

Rail : The horizontal part of the frame that makes the top and bottom of the shutter,

Rebate : (Rabbit-USA). A rebated edge can be given to shutter wings to allow them to lock together or close against each other when closed over the window. Rebated edges will need to be the reverse of each other to be effective i.e. left and right handed rebates.

Recess : The depth that the window is set back from the edge of the facing brickwork.

Reveal : This is the hole in the wall that accommodates the window frame.

S Hook : A type of holdback made in an ‘S’ shape. The S has uneven curves and rotates around a pintel so that it always settles in the upright position. To free the shutters from behind it, the S hook is rotated into a horizontal position that allows the shutter to pass.

Shutter stop : A small block that allows a shutter to stop in a given position usually mounted on the windowsill or under the lintel.

Slide bolt : A bolt that locks the two shutters together. Slide bolts differ from ordinary bolts as they are of a flat rather than circular design.

Stile : The upright or vertical part of the shutter frame.

Strap Hinge : A long hinge that fixes onto the rail as well as the stile for added strength.

Tilt rod : The bar that connects to the louvre blades to allow rapid positioning, opening or closing of all the louvres simultaneously

Track :    Where the reveal is very wide or the shutters are too heavy to be hinged, a track is used to support the weight of the shutters. This can be mounted above or below the shutters or both.

Wings :    Also known as leafs or panels. Shutters can be made from any number of wings that hinge together. Bi-fold shutters have 4 wings (2×2) whereas tri-fold have 6 wings (2×3).

POST a Comment

Company No. 03909451VAT No. 787 182 584
© 2020 All rights reserved